Saturday, March 28, 2015

Back To The Stone Age March 24, 2015

Ciao tutti!!!!

Well, let's just start off by saying that this has been one of the weirdest weeks ever. Literally, life has been kinda crazy and as a result, I'm really tired. Let me explain.

So last Thursday, we came home at the end of the day and we discovered that we didn't have any gas in our apartment. It just magically disappeared. The next morning we called the mission office and basically they think the problem is that the gas company shut off the gas in the wrong apartment, because there is an old missionary apartment near by ours. So no hot water or use of the stove. But wait. It gets better. The next night, we get home at the end of the night to the other anziani standing in the dark with flashlights. Great. But there is also a fantastic smell of burnt plastic. So basically what happened is that the other anziani overloaded the circuit and normally, the breaker kicks off the power so nothing happens, but this time, that didn't happen. Instead the breaker just caught fire in the wall. So the other anziani ripped the box of the wall and put out the electrical fire. So now we are without gas or electricity. Good thing we live a 5 minute walk from the GANS center (pretty much like the institute building). So we spent the night there, because there was heating and hot water and a stove and everything. We looked pretty ridiculous walking across the street with our mattresses. haha. The best part is that this all happened at the start of the weekend, so we couldn't get any help until Monday. So we took showers in the GANS center and the other other anziani's apartment and we always have to go over to the GANS center to make lunch and its just a mess. At the point, we got our power fixed yesterday, but we still have no gas. So no hot water or cooking food. It sucks to say the least. I could've sworn that I went on my mission to Italy, not south America. Oh well. Its been kinda fun. Crazy, but fun.
 

 


Adding to the weirdness, yesterday we had to go to the questura (police station) to get Anziano Lingardo's fingerprints done for his permesso........I hate the questura. It is like the DMV, but a million times worse. We had an appointment at 11:11, so we were there about 40 minutes early. We got out at 3:30. We were there for 5 hours. Literally just waiting there, surrounded by people from all of the world. The building was way too small and disorganized for how many people there were. But, we did get it done. It was a nightmare. We had to skip lunch, which is the worst. My body is so used to big lunches. 

Then, on top of all of that, I've been worrying about classes. Speaking of that, I need to register on Thursday. I decided that I am just going to do it from here mom, so don't worry about it. My schedule is looking good. About 15 credits and adequate spacing between classes. I'm happy with it. Let's just hope I can get all of my classes. 

Another weird thing. Today is Tuesday and its pday. Super weird. And then both tomorrow and Thursday, I have to go to Milano for meetings, so it's going to still be a weird week.

We are following march madness right now and its crazy. The entire right side of my bracket is destroyed. Everything is riding on Wisconsin to win it all. C'mon badgers!!! haha. We decided that the winner in our apartment gets a tub of gelato from our favorite place payed by the other 3. haha. I really hope I win. I want that gelato!

Since I'm already talking about worldly stuff, I'll just keep going. You remember how a long time ago I asked for family pictures of like grandpa and grandma and great grandma and what not? Yeah, well I would still like those. haha. If you would also like to send me any stories you remember from them, that would be really cool. I love family history stories. They are so awesome!

It's really cool that Lizzy loved SDSU. That's going to be a great and fun time for her. It sounds like you had a lot of fun with the grand kids this week. I'm jealous. I want to see them!! They are actually fun now. haha. Random question, do you guys know when I'm giving my homecoming talk? Because I want you guys to make a Facebook group for it and invite all of my friends.  Another question, do you know when mother's day is? I have no clue. I just know its in May.

Anyway, time for a cool miracle!

This past week, we set up an appointment with a less active. Then literally 30 minutes before the appointment, I called to confirm and he said that he would be there. We show up and suone his palazzo and he answers, but as soon as I told him who we were, he said he wasn't interested and hung up. I was super puzzled. So then I called him, but he didn't answer. So we checked around to make sure it was the right house...it was. So we went back and suoned again and this time his mother answered. I asked if he was home and she said, let me check. After a minute she came back and told me that he wasn't home and that he had just left. Since we had been standing right there and I recognized his voice the first time, I was a little upset. However, here comes the miracle. The next day in church, we are sitting in Sunday School, when a member tells me that some random person showed up. I went out and there was this less active and his non member mom. We then went down to gospel principles with them and during the lesson, the non member mother said that she felt really good here in church and wanted to come back. Then she said that she was looking for the truth and maybe what she had been taught as a child wasn't the truth and she said that what we were talking about sure sounded like the truth, because "it just sounded right". We set up an appointment to go and see them tonight and we are very excited to be able to help this reactivate this less active member and at the same time, bring his mother into the fold of the gospel. God really does work in mysterious ways. Maybe it took the guilt they felt giving us a bidone to restart their lives in the gospel. I don't know what prompted them to come to church, but I'm very happy they did and we are looking forward to helping the family grow in the gospel.

Like I say every time, I love being a missionary. I'm really so lucky to be here in the most beautiful country ever serving the amazing Italian people in the most beautiful language ever!!!! I love Italian so much. I'm really going to miss it.

Keep being strong everyone. I love you all and I wish you all the best. Thank you for your prayers and support. Next week will hopefully be more normal, but knowing my luck, it wont be. haha. It's OK. All in the service of the Lord.

Anziano Langlois

No comments:

Post a Comment