Monday, April 28, 2014

The Miracle of the Flying Trashcan April 16, 2014

Ciao tutti!!!

OK, I know what you are all thinking, what does that title mean, well, I'll let you know. So here in Italy, when an appointment falls through, you say "ci ha dato un bidone" which literally means, they gave us a trashcan. Its kinda weird, but funny to think about. So basically, this week, we've gotten a lot of bidoni, which is never fun, but we've also seen a ton of miracles this week as a result.

The first one that comes to mind happened a few days ago. We had planned to bring one of our new converts to go teach another new convert's wife because their are friends, so we set up the time to pick her up and walk with her to the lesson near by. While coming back to Pavia from another lesson, we called to confirm the lesson and we found out that the husband was still in Lodi and would not be there, so we couldn't go over. We couldn't get a hold of our other member who was waiting for us, so we hopped on the bus to go tell her in person. The first bus was super crowded and we couldn't get on, so we started walking. We then caught another bus which was also pretty crowded. After a few stops, more and more people got on, so I decided to go stand next to this man. Turns out that man was one of our less actives and the husband of the member we were trying to go talk to. So we went with him to his house and got to teach them as a family for the first time in a few weeks. We're really trying to help them and its been hard, because they keep on cancelling on us, so this definitely was a miracle. I'm so grateful for the little tender mercies of the Lord. He really is putting us in the path to help his children.

Then yesterday, we set up this really good lesson with one of our eternal investigators to get him to see the church and to meet our vescovo (Bishop). We had it all planned, and we went to his house to pick him up and everything. And there is no answer. We sat there and suoned his citofono and called him for about 30 minutes. We then realized that the lesson wasn't going to happen, so we called up Vescovo, who was already at the church that we had to cancel. He then asked us if we could come and stop by the church anyway, so we did. He then gave us some really good advice on how to help our investigators progress through using the "chiave di volta" or "keystone" scriptures of each lesson. He then gave us some really good advice of how to get more success finding people. It was stuff I already knew I should be doing, but for some reason, as human beings, we don't really like change, so we're a little stubborn sometimes. But him telling me those things over again, really helped me realize how stupid it was of me to not change just the little things to improve our work. After saying goodbye to him, we taught 2 lessons on the bus coming home. Its about a 10 minute bus ride, if that, so that was just a further proof of the blessings that come, when we humble ourselves and submit to the will of the Father. Especially being out for almost a year, I realized just how much time we waste here and there. This time really is short, and we need to be using it wisely. This is our "4 minutes". We need to do all that we can. Don't be afraid to change. The Lord will always be there to help you.

Other miracles/stories. Last p-day, we were playing some Frisbee near the fiume, when all of a sudden, this German Shepard showed up and started chasing the Frisbee. Of course, we just turned it into a game and started messing around with the dog. It reminded me so much of playing with Jack. That goofball. Then we started talking to the owner and his friend, and we ended up getting their phone numbers and we actually taught one of them the other day. It was such an awesome miracle. Sport contacting. It works!!!

Then, one day we were in Voghera, and we walked all over the place. Got a bidone on one side of the city. No one was home for a pass by on the other side of the city, so after walking all day, we decided to try and use the bus which we had never used before. A bus showed up right as we thought that, so we thought it was inspiration....whoops. Turns out, this bus took us to another random part of the city where we had never been. So we got off, said a prayer, and started walking back towards centro (because we had a map, thank goodness). While walking for a while, we heard someone honk, and it was one of our members. So after Anz Parker hugged them for "saving us" (he was a little fuori di testa that day), they asked us what we were doing, and we told them what happened. They then offered to give us a ride back to the station. While driving there, Fratello told us that they usually don't take that road, but he felt that needed to and thank goodness he did. It was such a little but so awesome of a miracle. It fits perfectly with Dad's two miracles he shared with me this week. I know that if we are willing and LISTENING, the spirit will prompt us to go to the people who need help. Thank you so much Dad for being such a great example to me thousands of miles away. I'm really trying so hard to work on following the promptings of the spirit immediately when the come, and I know that if I keep on trying, I will be able to fine tune that skill.

In other funny news, we walked to the church this week because we barely missed the bus and then last night after English class, we missed it again, so all 6 missionaries walked back from the church. It was probably a funny sight. haha. Also, this week, we stopped by some members we had told that we were going to be in the area, and right as we walk in, they direct us immediately to the kitchen where they have the table already set for us. They made us some really good pasta that smelled amazing, but unfortunately, we were fasting that night, so they just made it anyway and gave it to us to take home. After running back to catch the train, that pasta smelled mighty good sitting there on the train. haha. It was really good. Gotta love the members here. They are so awesome and they feed us like crazy. Oh my gosh. So. Much. Food!!! I love it, its awesome. haha

Its getting pretty hot here right now, but luckily the mosquitoes or zanzare aren't out yet, so we are still alive for the moment. I wish I had a spring break. I'm so tired all the time and I just need a break. But like dad always says, "you can sleep when you're dead", so I just keep on going. I'm so sorry to hear that Jake died, please tell Terri that I'm sorry. I loved that dog. I remember when Patrick and I used to chase him around her front yard. 

As for Shellie's birthday, tell her that I say "Tanti auguri di buon cumpleanno! Spero che abbi tante buone cose e tanto felicità!"

It always puts a smile on my face when BYU soccer wins. Especially as much as they do. 4-0, that's the score line I like to hear. haha. I can't believe the Dodgers are in first. Hopefully, we can stay there for longer than we usually do.

Thank you for the notice about the birthday posts people left on my Facebook. It's so weird to see all those names. I just remember such happy times with all of those people and I can't wait to see them all again. As for the peanut butter bars, they were really fresh. So that worked, and now we have an extra tupperware. haha

As for tracting around the university, we don't do that a ton, but basically anywhere you go in Pavia, there are a ton of college students. We are usually out on the fiume, so that's where they are all sitting a studying on benches and what not.

And speaking of Bishop or should I say, Vescovo Hackney, I was actually thinking about him this week. I was thinking about how much fun we had in Priest's quorum and scouts with him. I still remember him being my advocate for my Eagle board. So Bishop, he is a very special shout out to you. Thank you so much for all you have done for me. You really have helped me become the man that I am today, and I'm so grateful for that. I know that every time I asked you how your day was, it was going to put a smile on my face, and it always did. I've even pulled your "is that tie felt?" joke a couple of times. Works every time. haha. I've always loved your positive attitude for everything and I know for a fact that today "è il giorno migliore della mia vita". Thank you for everything Bishop.

I love you all so much and I hope you all have a great week! Oh yeah, before I forget, I just opened my last bottle of clearcare, so I wanted to know what I should do. Should I just look around for some other type of cleaning solution or what? And what times would work best for you guys to Skype on mother's day? We're still figuring out that stuff, so I'll let you know.

Anziano Parker says hi and thanks for the chocolate.

State mi bene!
Anziano Langlois

No comments:

Post a Comment