Thursday, September 5, 2013

Transfers!!!! September 4, 2013

Ciao tutti!!!!

As you all know, this week is transfers and guess where I'm going!!!.........That's right! I'm staying here in Genova with Anziano Salmon! haha. In fact, our whole apartment is staying exactly the same. We have one new sister in our District, and we lost the 2 Anziani from La Spezia, because now they have 4 instead of 2 in that city and now they are in the District with Genova 1. We will miss them, but we will still see them from time to time. I'm excited to spend another transfer here. There is a lot of work to be done in our area and I'm ready to do it. It is not going to be easy by any means, but like Anziano Holland (as we call him here) once said, "missionary work is not easy, because salvation was NEVER easy. Why should it be easy for us, when it was never easy for Him (the Savior)". It's so true. This is not easy work, but it is rewarding to help  these people when they listen. This past week has been hard. And I've felt discouraged a few times, but every time I feel like quiting, the words from D&C 122:7-8 come to mind:  And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.  

The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

Those are powerful words and it always reminds me that we are never alone. The Savior experienced all of these things for us, so that as Alma 7 says, "he will know how to succor his people in their infirmities". If I have one word of advice for everyone back home, it would be this. When the hard times come, turn to the Lord. He is there to help you always. He knows our pains, and our sufferings. I have learned so much about this in my 6 weeks here.

So my miracle this week comes from a few night ago. We had an unsuccessful day of passbys and finding work and we were tired, we were heading back to the apartment and right as we were about to turn onto our street, Anziano Salmon stopped, and said that we needed to go back and talk to this family. I didn't even see the family at first, but we went back and started talking to them. It turns out that the husband's parents both died and he wanted to see them again after this life. So I talked to them about the Plan of Salvation and the happiness that we can feel from knowing what comes after this life. We got their phone numbers and will hopefully be able to see them this Sunday. Every miracle ever, always comes from that last effort you put in. We have a saying here that if you only put 90% of the work in, you only get 10% of the blessings. Its when you put in that last 10% when you receive the rest of the blessings.

Dad, I've been trying to study Gospel Principles, but I don't fully understand everything yet, so I will keep trying. We currently only have 1 investigator and we are teaching a few less actives, and we keep trying to see a bunch of members, but unfortunately, they don't really want to see us that much. Sadly, we've had a lot of members cancel on us, but we keep trying to teach them as much as we can. This week, they are all in Switzerland at the temple, but we will try again next week. And speaking of the members, we helped this one family move apartments, and the one thing you should understand about helping people move in Italy is that it is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT that moving in America. Everyone here lives in a palazzo, so there are a ton of stairs, and this family happened to be moving from the 4th floor (really the 5th) to the 4th floor of their new building. So we all stood on a different floor and passed the stuff down to each other. I would carry it down a floor then another person would do the next floor and so on. We did this up the stairs in the other building too. Then we went back for a 2nd trip. By the end, I was so hot, thirsty, exhausted, and just overall dead. It took us 6 and a half hours, but we finished. And it actually was a really good missionary opportunity, because we brought a less active and there were a few non members. I'm really don't like stairs, but I kinda have to get used to them here. haha.

So I bought jerseys for one of the soccer teams here, Sampdoria. It was 20 euro, so I'm pretty excited. And today I bought a cook book for 5 euro that I will probably use for the rest of my life. And speaking of food, Dad, you wanted to know what we eat here in Italy? The answer is kebabs. They are everywhere!! I still don't know why, but they are, and they are pretty good sometimes. All the missionaries eat them. But besides that, there are a ton of pizza places here. I always thought that was a stereotype, but its true. Italians eat a lot of pizza. And its really good here. As for the pesto, I've only had one thing here so far, because one of the Anziani in our apartment is allergic to the nuts in it, so I don't get it a lot, but I will try some more this transfer. We also buy a lot of focaccia. It is sooooooo good!!!!!! besides that, we just make whatever we want. usually a lot of pasta because its easy to make. haha. And speaking of recipes, Mom, can you tell me how to make those chicken pockets things with the cream cheese and stuff? 

I can't believe that Peter comes home today from his mission! That's crazy!!! I know he was an amazing missionary and I can't wait to see him when I get back home. Also, Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!! Linda had her baby!!! I would say she is cute, but newborns are kinda creepy looking. But if shes anything like Jude, she will be the cutest baby ever!!!! please keep me updated, and I will keep Linda and the baby in my prayers. I am so excited that the Dodgers are doing so well right now. I saw a man with a Dodgers hat today and it made me really happy. I'm also really glad that they are killing the Giants right now, because Anziano Treadway is a huge Giants fan. haha. Thank you for the BYU Women's Soccer update Dad, I love it!!! I'm so proud of them, but I wish I could be there cheering them on! I'm glad you enjoy my pictures so much. Today we went and saw Christopher Columbus's house!!! It's really tiny actually. haha. It was pretty anticlimactic, but I love this city. It is gorgeous. I hope you enjoy the pictures this week!


 Soccer jerseys :)


 Electrical Storms


 Apartment


 Domo in Genova





 Christopher Columbus' Home




As always, I love hearing from you all and I wish you the best in this coming week! Keep writing me and keeping me in your prayers, I can always use the support and help. I love you all and wish you all could be here with me.

Vi voglio tantissimo bene!!!!!
Anziano Langlois

No comments:

Post a Comment