Monday, August 12, 2013

Daily Miracles August 7, 2013

Ciao tutti!!

Well, my second week here in Genova is complete and like the last one, it was hard, but I loved every minute of it! Thank you all so much for your words and prayers of support. I love you all so much. 

So, finding work is hard. Very hard. Most people see my name tag and immediately say that they aren't interested even before I say anything! I get a good laugh out of that, and now I always say, "but I haven't even said anything yet!". The Italians are a funny people, and I love them already. Once you start talking to someone, you have a hard time making them stop. I cannot tell you how many times I have stopped someone and then they talk for 20 minutes straight. Anziano Salmon and I can't even get a word in sometimes. Anyway, I've decided that this city is the perfect place for me to train because I am going to be a finding master after this. I pretty much don't have any more fear of talking to random people, because I'm actually starting to understand them! I don't understand everything, and as soon as someone asks me a question, I completely forget everything they said. Its funny and kinda frustrating at the same time, but then I remember that I've been here for 2 weeks. There's no need to worry. 

In general, I have a very positive outlook on the work here in Genova. We are starting to meet more members and even though we aren't really finding any new investigators, we keep on pushing forward because if we labor with all of our heart, might, mind, and strength, the Lord will help us and put people in our way that are prepared. This has actually happened a few times this week, unfortunately, the people we have these experiences with live in different areas than ours. But it is still helping the work move forward and so I'm really glad we have these experiences. 

One specific example was when we were going to Sampierdarena to help the other Anziani teach a lesson (they were double booked). While looking for this house, I kept telling myself that I was going to stop the next person, but then I wouldn't. But eventually, I did get the courage and when I asked her if she had seen the Book of Mormon before and she actually started talking to me, I was caught off guard and forgot what to say! haha. After I regained my thoughts, I talked to her for a bit and she was really interested. She said that she wanted a copy, but she was only visiting Genova for a few days. But, we got her info and hopefully the other Anziani can teach her, because she is ready. Also, she complimented my Italian! A real genuine Italian complimented my Italian! I was so surprised and happy! I know that this is only possible through the Lord. He has helped me so much with learning and understanding the language. Every single day I learn more and more and understand more and more. Of course, I have to put in my own work, so I study very diligently Italian for 1 hour every day. It has definitely helped me so much. Also, while I'm thinking of it. I found a copy of Gospel Principles in Italian in our apartment. Someone left it, so if you didn't already order one for me, don't. I can just take this one.

I love the ward here. This past Sunday, we must have had almost 70 people there which was awesome!! The members are so nice and they always help me with my Italian. I can tell you that the best way to learn any language is to try and speak it all the time. It's hard at first, but you learn so fast. Every now and then we will run into an African, or Romanian who only speaks very broken English, so I still have to use English every now and then, but most of the time its Italian. Or at least what I think I'm speaking is Italian. haha.

I had a Guatemala experience this past week Dad. We wanted to go to this park that we saw on the map, so we got on the bus and very soon we realized that this wasn't a park....it was the mountains. So we stayed on the bus as it went up this super windy, one-lane road into the mountains. There was a point where a car had to back up almost a quarter mile to get out of the way of the bus. I'm so glad I wasn't driving. Anyway, we get to the top of the bus route and it is this gorgeous small mountain village (I wish I had my camera then! Next time). We waited for the bus to turn around and we rode it back down the mountain. Along the way, we picked up more and more people who were coming from a day in the river, and after one stop, we had about 70-80 people packed onto this bus. there was no room. We were cramped, pushed up against each other on this windy mountain road. And the best part is that almost everyone was speaking Spanish. I thought I was in Guatemala for a second. All I could think of was you Dad, and there was even a man with a mustache like yours! haha

I love this city. It is so gorgeous and every time we try to find a members house, it is an adventure. Yesterday we found this amazing little foot path along the side of the freeway. It was so awesome. I love exploring this city. Now, most of the time, when we go to a house, they either moved or don't want to talk to us, but we go anyway. I love it. And we meet a lot of people on the way.

Today, we played basketball with one of the other Anziani's investigators. He is from Ethiopia and he is awesome! He showed up to our English class and now they are teaching him. It was so much fun to play today, but wow....I've never sweat so much before. It is so humid here. haha. But I love it. I love the Anziani in our apartment, and I love our District. Right now, we have the Anziani from La Spezia with us because we have zone training tomorrow and La Spezia is far away. They are so much fun.

I can't believe the Dodgers are still in first. That is nuts. I can't wait to rub it into Anziano Treadway's face, because he is a Giants fan. I'm also super excited how into soccer dad is now. It makes me so happy. I love hearing about the games, so please keep it coming! It is pretty embarrassing that we lost so bad to Roma, they really aren't that great. But oh well, what can you do.

Thank you again to everyone for your kind words and support. I love you all so much and love hearing from you. I don't always have a lot of time, but I will always try and write you back, so if you want to send me an email, I would love to read it, and you will get an email back. It may be short, but it will come back. haha. Also, if anyone has any quick recipes they want to send me, that would be greatly appreciated. Right now, I can make pasta and toast, and that's about it. Different would be a nice change. haha

As always, thank you for your prayers and I will hear from you next week!! I hope you enjoy the pictures!

Vi voglio tantissimo bene!!!

Anziano Langlois 
Last pictures from MTC



On to Genova Italy!




No comments:

Post a Comment